Monday, March 14, 2011

The Road to Tongariro Part One

A while ago I wrote about the trek I did up to the Summit of Rangitoto Island, and my want to do the Tongariro Crossing.

With the very little experience I have at trekking and tramping, it is going to be a good idea to start with smaller tramps and build my way up.

In a few weekends time, a group of us are going to drive down to Thames and do the Coromandel Pinnacles Walk. This is a walk that can be done in a day but we are going to stay over night in a 80 sleeper hut at the top, so we can wake early the next morning to tramp to the summit and watch the sunrise.

This over night trip will include eating baked beans and spaghetti out of tins. Hiking with a bag full of sleeping gear, clothes, food, water, first aid equipment. This will be more intense in the sense of what we have to carry. It is going to be so much fun.

So this is part one on the road to Tongariro. Part one as in this is the first thing thought of in preparation for the Tongariro crossing. This weekend we are going to do a shorter walk in preparation for the Pinnacles walk, but just to build up our fitness.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Forgive my American English, but is a tramp a hike? Cuz I like your word much better than mine if it is!
Good luck on your tramp!! You'll have a blast!
I hope there'a some good clouds up there! :)