Thursday, March 3, 2011

Caution: Rant

I have never, not to my knowledge or recollection, posted anything that was purely a rant. Unfortunately, the time has come for one of these posts.

Using the term ‘we’ refers to two or more people.

The definition of we:

pron.

1. Used by the speaker or writer to indicate the speaker or writer along with another or others as the subject: We made it to the lecture hall on time. We are planning a trip to Arizona this winter.

2. Used to refer to people in general, including the speaker or writer: "How can we enter the professions and yet remain civilized human beings?" (Virginia Woolf).

3. Used instead of I, especially by a writer wishing to reduce or avoid a subjective tone.

4. Used instead of I, especially by an editorialist, in expressing the opinion or point of view of a publication's management.

5. Used instead of I by a sovereign in formal address to refer to himself or herself.

6. Used instead of you in direct address, especially to imply a patronizing camaraderie with the addressee: How are we feeling today?

Definition number six seems to relate to the problem I am facing. But in my case it is not a question it is a statement. For example or maybe this is just a sentence taken from the email, “Awesome, we’ll look at Palmerston North and Hastings early next week.” Thanks bud, I really appreciate your appreciation for me doing that little job that “we” needed to get done, but asking me to do another one while referring to we really grinds my gears. You are not going to do anything that is included in this “we task”. 

Doing what is asked of me, I have no problem with. Asking me to do something and making it seem like a team effort, makes me want to throw something at your head; a very hard object, preferably.

Team efforts, they work well (at times), are good ways of getting things done and are “awesome”. My effort, all by myself, it is freaking amazing – like the Red Sox beating the Yankees for the next billion years amazing and don’t you ever forget that.

Rant, Over!