Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day 09 - Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted

This is going to sound very selfish, but the “someone” that I didn’t want to let go of but just drifted from is myself 15 years ago. I was such an independent child. I could go up to anyone and talk to them without needing to build up courage. We would go out for dinner, we would be sitting at our table waiting for our food and I would turn around and talk to the people sitting behind us or to the side of us.

I didn’t have a worry in the world that was related to friends, money, petrol, work, self image. I was worried about whether the sun would shine or not. I was worried about what sport or game we would be playing at lunch time. I was worried that my Barbie's would have to be put away by a certain time because I hadn’t done as I was asked and I lost play time.

Why is it that children tell the truth and can point out the blatant honest points of problems? Why is it that adults take twice as long, if not longer, to do this? Why do we get our innocence taken from us the minute we realise there is more to life than mud pies and trading cards?

I do not know exactly when I lost my innocence, but I can tell you it was a long time ago. I didn’t choose to, or want to. I just drifted from it.

No comments: